Once treatment is complete, it’s important to maintain the results of your orthodontic treatment to protect your bite and smile for life. At Advantage Orthodontics, we believe retainer wear is a life-long commitment. In fact, it is so important we often include a bonded retainer on the inside of your lower front teeth, and an upper retainer that you will wear all the time (except for eating, brushing and flossing) for the first four months after treatment. After four months of full-time retainer wear, retainers are then worn each night (at least 8 hours) to maintain your smile for life. When it comes to retainer wear, our motto is “night time for a life time”. We will monitor you during the first 18 months of your retainer wear after completing treatment.
Below are some other helpful guidelines for your retainers:
- Take your retainers out when eating, and always put retainers in their case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunchrooms or restaurants.)
- Clean retainers with a toothbrush and liquid dish soap. Wash them every day, but avoid hot water. Cleaning retainers removes plaque, to eliminate odor and prevent build-up of calculus (hardened plaque).
- When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to them faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
- Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.
- Retainer replacement will incur an additional fee but with proper care they should last for years!