KEEPING YOUR SMILE GREAT
When we remove your braces, you begin the retention stage of your treatment. We monitor your retainer wear for 18 months after removal of your braces. Protect your investment and hard-earned results and wear your retainers as requested by Dr. Ford. Remember Dr. Ford’s motto, Nighttime for a Lifetime! (8 hours per night)
Removable Orthodontic Retainers:
- Orthodontic retainers should be worn as requested by Dr. Ford. Remove retainers when eating and brushing your teeth. Initially, your speech may be affected but should return to normal after a few days of wearing the retainer.
- Remove clear retainers by pulling down with your fingers in back working forward. Be sure to loosen it on BOTH sides before removing.
- Keep retainers clean by brushing them with your toothbrush and water. Toothpaste works well to clean Hawley retainers but can scratch the clear type of retainers. Retainers can be cleaned with commercial retainer cleaner specified for use with retainers.
- When retainers are not being worn, they should be kept in their case. Retainers can be cleaned with antibacterial soap and rinsed well.
- Retainers should be kept away from pets. They can make a very expensive chew toy!!
- Retainers should not be left in hot cars. They can warp.